On October 6, I got the opportunity to attend a Groundbreaking event for one of Anawim Housing’s new projects: The Brickstones at Riverbend. This new project will be a 30-unit senior living apartment complex and is expected to be completed by fall of 2017. The Brickstones is a really important project, because it will provide affordable housing to people in the community above the age of 55, as well as help to revitalize the 6th Avenue corridor.

I’m glad I was able to attend the event. Several different people spoke, including the mayor of Des Moines and some of Anawim’s board members. Their speeches were inspiring and gave insight as to why the Brickstones project, as well as low income housing in general, is important and necessary. After the speeches, the actual “groundbreaking” took place. Several people, mostly Anawim’s board members, got to put on construction helmets and ceremoniously dig into the ground. I also got a free Anawim Housing mug, could eat free cookies, and got to shake hands with the mayor as well as several of Anawim’s board members.

written by Marina Birely, ECC student working with Anawim Housing